(I modified the recipe to make 4 so the following measurements might be a little weird to you!)
3/4 lb ground turkey (i subbed for ground beef, either work!)
4 red peppers
1 cup of dry quinoa (see below)
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup of onion
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
24 oz. diced tomatoes
you need 2 pots and one pan! :)
About Quinoa (keen-wah)
this was my first time using it. It’s high in fiber when shelled correctly and high in protein. it doesn’t have much of a taste, it has a texture…i really enjoyed it. you should definitely check it out, especially if you’re like me and you struggle to get enough protein in your diet! look in the aisle you would find rice and couscous.
pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
1. put water in big pot and set to boil (for red peppers) and small pot with 2 cups of water (it’s important to measure the water for the quinoa!)
2. for quinoa, when boiling put 1 cup of dry grain in and lower the temp, cover it and set your timer for 15 minutes.
3. when water boils for peppers, put them in the pot and cover for 4 minutes, then take them out and run them over cool water, allow them to drain and set them aside.
4. in your pan (a deep pan works best) combine turkey, carrot, onion, and garlic until soft.
5. after 15 minutes the quinoa should be translucent and most of the water should be soaked up.
6. when carrots/turkey/etc soft, add tomatoes, basil, brown sugar, and quinoa. cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. cut tops off red peppers and gut them.
8. when done simmering, scoop mixture into each pepper. you might have some left over, that’s ok.
9. bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
this was really really yummy. i’m so glad i made it! it was tricky to figure out the correct timing to make it, but it turned out really well and my friends liked it too. also, i have an extra to have for dinner tomorrow! mmm!
Serving Size: 1 pepper, 407 calories, 4.7 g fat, 400.6 mg sodium, 59.2 g. carbs, 32 g. protein, 9.6 g. fiber, 13.6 g. sugar.